Upcoming Events

  • First Ward Meeting every third Saturday of the month at the Roosevelt Comm. Center 10:00 am
  • City Council meetings are every Wednesday at 5:30 pm
  • Work Sessions are being held Mondays at 5:30 pm

Thursday, January 31, 2008

A working council?

As the new council starts getting into the swing of things, there are a few things I am noticing that maybe I missed seeing with the previous councils. With the new meeting times, there allows us as a council to have more informal, and informational work sessions. For example, every Monday evening, for the immediate future, we are meeting at 5:30pm in council chambers to discuss pressing issues such as Isle of Capri, Davenport Promise, 67th street development, and other issues that are most effectively discussed when everyone is present and can ask questions freely. The meetings are open to the public and it gives the public an opportunity to get a feeling on where the council is headed. Also I have noticed that all the Alderman are holding ward meetings, either combined or individually, in order to get more information out and get more feedback. Personally, I know that not everyone is going to agree with my voting, but at least they will know why I voted that way and where I stand. I realize that we all have to work together and I am proud to see the council working hard to get the public involved. Is there anything more that you would like to see?

No comments:

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his weight - Theodore Roosevelt